Sunday, August 15, 2004

Introduction

The following is what I hope becomes a lifelong project; to present to you the literature of the Western Civilization.

Literature, especially the so-called Great Books is a subjective enterprise; each person you talk to has his or her ideas on what elevates a book into the Western Canon. My goal is not to judge whether each belongs for everyone, but to simply introduce works that I myself feel are worthy of inclusion. Please feel free to comment below each review.

I won't be tackling this project in chronological order; the first batch of titles I've already read over the past decade or so, but even after I've "caught up," I'll skip around quite a bit. If you're the type who wants to read along with me, but in the correct order, I'll post shortly a list of the works that I'll be reading from in order of appearance.





No comments: